I love winters…I mean I really really love winters!
Winter is the most lovely season of the year – there are festivals, celebrations and a lot of fresh produce.
While walking past the roadside vegetable vendors I saw small bunches of kohlrabi and carrots with their greens attached. I had actually gone out to buy something else, but looking at those beauties I could not resist to go to this lady who was selling these bunches! I wanted to buy them all – they were so beautiful…and fresh, as if she had just plucked them and got to the market!!
Because its just the two of us here, I decided to control my urge and satisfied myself with just one bunch of kohlrabi (silently promising the carrots to take them home soon) and walked back home.
Though kohlrabi is not much liked vegetable, there are so many things one can do with this kind of neglected veggie. I wanted to give equal justice to the kohlrabi greens, I also wanted to keep them raw. I kept the bulbs aside for another use.
I was having pretty much enough winter produce and hence I made this colourful and satisfying salad with the things I had in my pantry. I love everything about this salad – bed of kohlrabi greens, beetroots, cherry tomatoes, corn, orange and walnuts! I made the salad dressing out of water in which I boiled my beetroots, olive oil, freshly crushed black pepper and a pinch of salt. It looked and tasted just amazing!
So, ladies and gentlemen – presenting Winter on My Plate 🙂
Here is what you will need ~
- Tender kohlrabi greens – about a handful
- Corn kernels – 1/4 cup
- Beetroot – 1 large
- Cherry tomatoes – 8 to 10
- Orange wedges – 5 to 6
- Freshly crushed black pepper – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
Here is how to put this salad together~
- Clean the beetroot. Peel off the skin with a vegetable peeler and cut the beetroot in wedges and boil in just enough water. Drain the water and keep the boiled wedges and water aside.
- Also boil the corn kernels. Drain the water (you can discard this) and keep the corn kernels aside.
- Pick the tender and neat kohlrabi greens, do not use any wilted or yellow leaves. Clean the leaves in a colander under running water and make sure that the leaves do not have any soil attached. Pat dry with kitchen towel, keep aside.
- Now, cut the the beetroot wedges further into fingers or matchsticks.
- Emulsify the olive oil and beetroot water (mix with a whisk till properly combined). Add crushed black pepper and salt as per taste. Mix and set aside.
- Prepare a bed of kohlrabi greens on a salad plate, spread orange pieces, beetroots and corn kernels. Drizzle the dressing. Optionally, toss a few chopped walnuts if you would like to add crunch.
- Toss gently to mix all the ingredients before serving and enjoy! This salad serves just one person but you can definitely increase the quantity of ingredients to serve more people.
Did you all have a great Christmas? Now to detox yourselves, make this salad soon!! Let me know in the comments below or on Facebook if you make this!