Ladies and gentlemen, this is a cake that gave me some quick fame.. literally.. I baked this cake and posted a couple of pictures on Home Bakers Guild, a closed group of bakers and bloggers on Facebook. Within a few hours so many people liked and commented on it.. I was overwhelmed with this warm response I received.
It was not my plan to post the recipe really.. but it is for all those lovely guild members that I am sharing this recipe for mosambi (sweet lime) cake with you all.
Just look at the colour and texture of the cake – I was mighty pleased with results… mind you this is an eggless one!
Also there is nothing very fancy or complicated about this cake, some simple basic pantry ingredients come together to bake this magic! It is so amazing to see that mixing those basic ingredients gives you such beautiful results, isn’t it?..
Let’s just dive right into the recipe!
Here is the list of ingredients-
- All purpose flour (maida) – 1 1/2 cups
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Yogurt/curds – 1/2 cup (if there is a lot of liquid in the yogurt/curds, remove excess water – you do not need greek yogurt or completely set yogurt but you do not want too much liquid either)
- Sweet lime (mosambi) juice – from 2 medium sized sweet limes
- Unsalted butter – 6 tbsp; melted and cooled to room temperature
- Castor sugar – 3/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Zest of 2 small to medium sweet limes
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- More butter and flour for the pan.
As the list of ingredients, the recipe cannot get more simple than this…Here are the step wise instructions-
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius for 15 minutes. Prepare a loaf pan by greasing well with butter and lightly coat with flour, removing excess flour.
- In a small bowl, take castor sugar and add sweet lime and lemon zest. Rub the zest and sugar with fingers so that the sugar becomes fragrant with the zests. Keep aside.
- In another big bowl, take the yogurt. Add lime-zested sugar and mix until sugar is dissolved. Next, add in the melted and cooled butter and sweet lime juice. Mix well but gently till all the ingredients come together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Break the lumps in baking soda if any. You don’t have to sift the mixture.
- Now, add the flour mixture in the yogurt mixture. Mix the batter with a spatula using cut and fold method until combined. Add in the milk little by little and continue mixing. In the end, the batter should be velvety soft and shiny and falling in a ribbon off the spatula.
- Pour the batter in prepared loaf pan. set the pan on the middle rack and bake at 180 degrees for first 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 170 degrees and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Cover the top of loaf pan loosely with aluminium foil if the top of the cake is browning too quickly. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out completely clean.
- Enjoy the cake as a snack or on the side with tea or coffee.
I thank all the guild members again for such a great response for my post there.. I am truly overwhelmed and very happy!
Do let me know if you bake this cake. Feel free to share my page and blog with your friends and family of you like my work! 🙂