Sometimes I feel that life moves in a circle. What’s old comes back in a new package and what was new becomes old overnight! Be it fashion, food or the way of life! Take the case of earthen pots and pan..for example!
There was a time when food was cooked only in earthen pots… then came the metallic ones.. from ordinary iron to copper, silver and what not. Technologies advanced and we got our hands on non stick ware and now there are lots of options available only in non stick ware. Come to think of it, our very own cast iron pans have made a fancy comeback and you will see at least one recipe using cast iron skillet on pretty much every food blog out there… not that I am complaining!
Coming back to the earthenware, though in some parts of India, people use earthenware for their daily cooking, the trend is cropping in urban India as well.
I myself have a descent collection of earthenware.. from tawa to a cool water bottle I even have a small set of bowls and glasses…
What better way to flaunt my collection than to show it to you all.😉
But this is just not a show off.. here are some health benefits of cooking/eating in the earthen pots:
- As these pots are porous in nature, storing the water in them lets the heat from water to escape and gives you a naturally cooled water which is an healthier alternative to fridge water. The added benefit is that the minerals from the clay get added to the water you are drinking.
- Again, as these pots are porous these are best for slow cooking. Pores allow the heat and moisture to distribute evenly through the dish you are preparing which in turn develops a consistent flavor profile. Next time, try cooking your biryani or daal makhani in an earthen pot and you will notice the difference in texture and taste!
- As the clay is alkaline in nature, cooking acidic food in earthenware will help balance the pH level of the food, especially try cooking dishes with tomatoes and tamarind etc. in these pots, your food will surely have a deep taste.
- Get the supply of essential minerals like calcium, phosphorus, sulfur, etc. by cooking in the earthen pots.
Apart from the health benefits here are three reasons why you should start using the earthenware:
- Compared to all the other cooking devices, earthenware comes in quite cheap.
- It makes for a beautiful and elegant display on your dinner table and gives a classy touch to your dinner spread.
- Cleaning the earthenware is quite easy, one does not have to use harsh chemicals. Hot water and a good quality dish soap is good enough.
Of course, you will need to take a few precautions while using earthenware:
- Never put cold water in a hot earthen pot.
- Cool the pot completely before cleaning if you are using room temperature water for cleaning.
- Never use metallic cleaning pads or scratchy powders to clean the pot.
- Use gentle hand while cleaning.
- Rise the temperature slowly when cooking in earthen pots. When needed, use a griddle below the earthen pot, so put the griddle on the stove top, heat it to medium heat and then place the earthen pot.
Go, get yours now! 😉
Hope you enjoyed my post about using earthenware for cooking and serving. Please share the word, because sharing is caring!